Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Pleased to meet you . . .

PLEASED TO MEET YOU . . .

There are times when I find myself in the midst of situations and I wonder, “How did I get here? What I am I expected to do with this?” I have come to the conclusion that much of what I am is a witness and a reporter. By nature, I am a connector. I hear of one person needing something and know of another who can fill that need and I am available to complete the synapse. It is becoming that way in the work I have chosen to do. I am nowhere near the point I would like to be, that of doing full time work in social justice, but I can see the efforts I put in greatly multiplied by what I call “God math” and good things coming of it.
I was recently in Mesa, Arizona for a four day conference with The Evangelical Network (www.T-E-N.org). Their mission statement states they are a group of Bible believing churches, ministries, Christian workers and individuals bound together by a common shared faith, united in purpose and witness and established as a positive resource and support for Christian gays and lesbians. They aren’t just a support. Most of them have been kicked out of mainstream churches for their same gender attraction. It was the TEN’s 20th anniversary and some very well known pioneers in the movement were there to speak. I could tell stories for hours about the people I met and the things I witnessed, but I will focus on three people: Troy Perry, Doug Schaffer and Mitt Romney. What, Mitt Romney was there?! No, that is the hook to the end of this.
Troy Perry is the founder of the predominantly gay Metropolitan Community Church (MCC). Today, it is 52,000 members strong and is the world’s largest religious denomination for the GLBT community with 314 congregations in 16 countries. In 1969, Troy performed the first public same-sex wedding in the U.S. In 2003, he and his spouse, Philip DeBlieck, were married in Canada and then filed suit against the State of California for recognition of their marriage. Within a short time, 27 more couples were added to that suit and you surely know the rest of the story there. I listened to him speak on a panel with two other pioneers and heard Troy’s story and more importantly, his passion. People have demonized Troy saying it is not possible to be gay and Christian and therefore he is deceived and deceiving others. What I saw and heard though is a humble man who loves Jesus and burns with a heart of social justice. The quick version of his story is: married at 21 under the recommendation that “getting married would cure me”, pastor and father by 22, came out at 23, lost his church, his marriage and contact with his kids for 21 years, formed MCC in his home in 1968 with 12 people at the first meeting and 1000 people were attending a year later. He lives in a very modest condo with his partner of 20 years and is now retired to speak about his faith, human rights, social justice, HIV, and marriage equality.
Quite a pedigree. Impressive, yes. I wanted some face time with him and had lunch with him one afternoon. The kindness and humility pour off him as easily as his Southern drawl. He asked about me, we exchanged stories, laughter, teary eyes and our mutual love of our faith. Then I had to ask him forgiveness for a judgment I have long held about him. I had heard for maybe 25 years about MCC and considered it church-lite, that the founder was using this as a platform for his “gay issues” and placed God second; I had heard that deception and even witchcraft was blended in the doctrine. I felt silly admitting all this after meeting the man and sitting with him over a meal. He was the gracious Troy I now would have expected. Here I am, the one who professes to be fairly non-judgmental, apologizing for the chains my beliefs have put on him. Ugh! There is a documentary coming out this year called “Call Me Troy”; I recommend you watch for it and let me connect you to a man who I am honored to know, Troy Perry.
Let me also introduce you to Doug Shaffer, assistant pastor of White Rock Community Church in Dallas, Texas overseeing the AIDS/HIV ministry called White Rock Friends. There are over 900 people on the clients list currently and Doug calls himself the “toilet paper man”. The average person on his client list lives on $660 monthly income and that leaves little for necessities after rent and drugs. The Friends supply disinfectant, toothpaste and brushes, shampoo, and toilet paper. The items are needed to keep the sufferers clean when their immune system is shot. The ministry also runs a clothing store and is considerate of their “T” clientele. A person might one month may be registered as Paul, but comes in as Paula next month and wants a women’s blouse. They have found many of their clients only get out of bed each day to feed their cat or walk their dogs; this small thing keeps them wanting to live. So, now the Friends have expanded their panty to include cat and dog food as well. I had a long dinner with Doug one night. There were ten at our table, but it was a conversation of two totally engaged in what we see God doing in people and in places. I came as close as I ever have to looking into the figurative eyes of Jesus. The eyes were housed in a gay Christian, HIV, and former meth-addict man. Looking into his face made me cry. His kindness and humility were drowning. I am honored to know Doug Shaffer.
So what has Mitt Romney to do with all this? On the way home, in the Phoenix airport, catching a layover to Salt Lake City, I moved off to a gate empty of people. I wanted to check my e-mail after four days out of touch electronically. As I typed away, a nice looking man sat two seats from me in this empty gate. I notice him, but went back to my work. I have an absurdly successful track record of interesting airport meetings (that is a whole conversation in itself). Hmmm, I thought, I recognize him. Yup, that’s Mitt Romney sitting there reading his paper and drinking his Starbucks (isn’t that against the rules?). I did what I always do in those situations that appear obvious. I ask God what I should do with it. Came back the crazy answer, “nothing”. What??? Here I am next to potentially the next V.P. of the U.S. with all this important social justice knowledge in my head and You, God, want me to ignore him? (I later found out he had been at McCain’s ranch in Sedona doing the courting thing.) Yup. So ignore him I did. Within 20 minutes the passengers to SLC discovered the favored son was nearby and the photos and handshakes and accolades began. I am in the background of some 50 photos disengaged and typing away.
I had been so filled with meeting wonderful people for four days in Mesa, my tank was full and I needed no more. It’s crazy sometimes that what seems apparent is not. I was honored to be with marvelous people that weekend at another gay Christian conference. I made friendships that will last a lifetime, I got to witness and participate in wonderful things and I will go tell my stories to people who will never get to walk where I do. I get arguments and nasty comments, but for the most part, I get to touch hearts and open minds. And, I am in good company with my friends Troy and Doug.
Kathy Baldock

1 comment:

James said...

Kathy,
Your Passion for love and life shines so brightly in all that you do. Wow, if we had energy like this in every day life with everyone- we could power the world. Much love- your new friend in christ,
James (JimMD)